EMERGENCY VHF CALLS
nb..TO BE USED WHEN BOAT OR PERSON(S) IN GRAVE AND
GMDSS DSC ALERT ON Ch70
(Global Maritime Distress Safety System - Digital Selective Calling)
- Lift ditress button security flap on VHF radio - if no button fitted
go straight to MAYDAY procedure.
- Press Distress Button
- Select Type of Distress
- Hold Distress Button down for 5 seconds
- Await acknowledgement for up to 15 seconds and then broadcast verbal
MAYDAY on Ch16, whether or not your alert has been acknowledged
The Ch70 digital distress message will automatically repeat every
3½ - 4½ minutes. If the distress is over or falsely
triggered, cancel it on the radio and broadcast an all ships message
on Ch16 giving your craft's name, MMSI and state that you are cancelling
the DSC alert, plus its date and time.
- Ensure your radio is switched on and at maximum volume without distortion.
- Ensure you have set Ch16 and that dual watch has been turned off.
- Ensure your radio is set for high output
- Press to transmit and send...
"MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY this is
Boatname Boatname Boatname
POSITION - Lat/Long, distance and bearing from an obvious object
or landmark. Repeat your position if you have time.
PROBLEM - how many on board (include yourself), flares fired?, are
you abandoning the boat
ASSISTANCE - what assistance do you require"
- If no reply keep trying